Friday, January 18, 2013

Never Let Them See You Sweat

I  pride myself on never letting them see me sweat but now they can see me shake.  I've got a built in mechanism that tells me when I'm under stress- good or bad.   My boss corrected or better yet educated me about a fairly minor point today while I was with a client.  I say minor because I certainly wasn't going to hurt anyone but in the long run his strategy will prove more helpful to the client.  He was right, I was wrong but it bugged me.  I've asked him to please wait to tell me these types of things until later but it's really no big deal.  When he revisited the point later on to make sure I understood I listened intently looking for a way to save face and make some sort of intelligent contribution.  I wanted to turn it into a discussion rather than a lesson.  There wasn't any room for that.  I was getting told and I saw the same insistent look in his eye that he has when he's correcting one of my co-workers on a no-brainer.    He was standing and I was sitting in a chair with my legs crossed over.  I didn't like being in the hot seat and my shaking leg betrayed my annoyance.  I'm pretty sure he noticed the chink in my tough guy armor.    

No comments:

Post a Comment